Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Day 37


Churchill Downs Day 37: Up we climb. Into the thick fog and mist of the mountain, unaware of what we would encounter. It has been three days since the start of our climb toward this apartments black heart. We are warm from Mitri's fur, and our stomachs no longer growl because of the various animals we've hunted and killed. We are all quiet now though. All of us must be on our toes at all times, not knowing what we will encounter next. The last thing we came across almost had us all killed. 
          On the first day of our expedition we were passing a cave, and all the sudden a giant hammer was swung straight at all of our heads, and it would have been able to kill all five of us in one blow just from its immense size. Were it not for Andy's reflexes we would be minus all of our heads. We readied ourselves, and out stepped an abomination. Thirteen feet from his scalp to his toes, covered in what seemed to resemble bear pelts, and very angry. It had no words for us, just another swing from his mighty hammer. We all dodged for our lives. Nate rolled under the giant, jumped as high as he could up the giants back, and sunk his razor sharp chin into him. The giant let out a monstrous cry that echoed through the mist blanket of the mountains. I took the sword crafted from Nate's braces and swung at his leg, leaving gash after gash, dodging stomp after stomp. Casey raised his bow and shot the foul beast in both shoulders. The giant was distracted just long enough for Mitri to roll around the giant to his back and climb up Nate who was stuck in the creature like a thorn. He then jumped up to the back of its neck, jumped again from its shoulders, and behead the once mighty giant on Mitri's way down to the ground with one swing from his sword. His body fell soon with his head, and we taunted the creature viciously as it lay dead at our boots. Before we got too full of ourselves, I reminded the group to keep their eyes peeled, it was not as though we didn't almost just die earlier. 
          We continued our journey, and would without interruption for the next day. We would have to make camp by nightfall, and it was approaching quickly. We stopped in a nearby cave. Wood would have to be gathered to make our fire. On our way up earlier we noticed some trees, so Andy and I started back while the others stayed in the cave. The first tree we found was short. It would make good kindling, but that was all. No, we would need to find a large oak. Andy tapped my shoulder and pointed directly at one hanging off the mountain. It did not take long to get to it, and as soon as we did it only took one hack with Andy's ax to completely sever it from its root. Andy was only as strong a thirteen year old girl, but the braces around his ax were crafted by the finest orthodontist in all of Hoover. We noticed something odd however... Whistling. 
          It wasn't any of us, and it couldn't have been Nate and the others, we were too far from our cave... Andy and I were entranced by whatever this was, so we picked up the lumber, and started towards it. Maybe it was someone like us. Trapped in this forsaken hole. We slowly approached a cave. It seemed to be the source of the noise. I would have never believed what I saw were it not for the look upon Andy's face as well. Two women were in the center of the cave around a fire whistling as they worked on what seemed to be clothing. But it wasn't ordinary clothing. These women, whoever the were, were making clothing out of wolf pelts. They were fighters. Andy and I slowly backed away from the cave to go inform our comrades what we had seen. We were upon our own cave in no time. We began explaining our encounter to our company. We put our lumber aside and headed for the cave once more. 
          Using as much stealth as we could, we silently approached the entrance. Before we looked at the only woman in our gaze, I told Casey that whoever she was, she must be another one of the apartment's tricks. No more surprises. He raised his bow and drew back an arrow. He looked at me once more and whispered "I don't know about this, that one smells... human." Before he cast his gaze once more on the unknown target, the woman turned toward the entrance where we stood out of sight and unexpectedly said, "You all can come in if you'd like." We stopped and our stomachs dropped to our feet. We were caught.
          I slowly stepped out into the light, and so did the rest of my company. I shouted into the cave, "For all I know there are only two of you, and five of us, what is to stop us from killing you and taking your belongings?" I could see a smirk come across her still unrecognizable face due to the fire. She calmly exclaimed, "You are unarmed, and we are not." My brothers in arms and I almost started to laugh... and then we looked down for our weapons. They were gone. Even the only things left in Nate's mouth were his gums. He looked over at me and tried to say "Damn that was fast" except it sounded like a dog drinking water. Just like that, I knew that she had been more than three steps ahead of us since Andy and myself peered into the cave. Who was she...? Her friend walked out from the darkness of the cave from behind her and dropped all of our weapons and gear on the hard cave floor. I could see her smiling again. Mitri looked at all of us and said, "This might be weird, but am I the only one with a boner right now?" Nate looked over at him and just said "Nope." I looked to her and her friend, and slowly exclaimed, "You've successfully made fools of my company and I, you have us unarmed and you have the upper hand. What will you do now? Kill us and leave us in the snow?" They both looked at each other from what I could tell from over the fire, and the woman sitting down with a welcoming tone simply said, "Feed you." 
          My fellow man and I looked at one another puzzled. "Feed us?" I asked in an unbelieving tone. We all stopped when the woman by the fire rose and her unknown friend started following behind her. We raised our fists for the only defense we had. The first woman gracefully walked out to where I recognized her immediately. She strutted over and I dropped my fists in amazement. She grabbed me as tight as her frame would let her and whispered behind my neck, "It's good to see you again Wes." 
          Emma Pitts and her friend Samantha Lentz were more than pleasant sights for our tired, battle worn eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment