Churchill Downs Day 40: The mountain must have stretched all the way to the roof of the apartment! When would we stop walking was the only thought in my head. We were walking for a whole day straight and something strange was happening we weren't used to. Silence replaced the noise of this place we were so accustomed to. It was almost... peaceful. The sky became more and more clear the higher we walked up the trail. It was like nothing we had seen before, but it did not cause one of my group members to speak. They were right not to. As pleasant of a sight that this was, the apartment was evil. If I ever remember anything after all this, I would only want to remember this sight.
It seemed the ground was becoming flatter now. If that meant anything, it meant we were at the plateau of the mountain! Maybe we reached the top now! Casey stopped the group suddenly. "Look!" He shouted. It was the peak. We had made it after all. My brothers and I dashed towards it as fast as we could. Nate was the fastest, and we all raced after him. What was on the other side? We would find out so soon I could feel it. This journey was ending. The peak was the most beautiful sight I'd ever laid my eyes on. It marked our victory. We would finally win, and as we were racing toward the peak to look over the mountain... something more sinister walked slowly through the remaining fog.
We all stopped to look at the figure coming toward us slowly from the fog at the peak. As it drew closer, the very ground began to rumble under it."What... is that...?" Casey asked as he let out a frighted breath. "Nothing good." Andy retorted just as scared. "It smells.... evil" Casey slowly uttered. He started to slowly walk backwards. We all did. The ground began to vibrate even more now, and just like that, it slowly came out of the fog. "Guys... I don't know if a sword is going to hurt that thing" stated Mitri in a ghastly tone. The beast emerged covered in gigantic slabs of ice. It seemed it's what its whole body was made of. Spikes of ice lined its legs and back. Its torso was a solid brick of ice formed to the shape of a chest. It stood no less than 35 feet tall, and the span of its legs over the ground were covering 20 yards with every step. "What now?????" Nate yelled. "Yeah... what now?" I replied.
The beast was upon us swinging its arms at the ground, trying to crush the intruders. Dodge was the only thing we could do. Casey fired arrows at the beast to just here them ping of the goliath's icy hide. We swung our swords at its feet in an attempt to harm it, but nothing. The ground started to crack under its weight and swings. Was this the end? Would we all die here? I dodged once more to my right and looked at the peak of the mountain we were headed to. An idea started to form in my head. "Everyone! Run for the peak!!!" I shouted as loud as I could to get my brothers attention. They all looked at me and nodded in agreement as though they found my plan out. The giant raised its fists again for another blow, and we all dodged in accordance. As soon as his fists hit the ground we sprinted for the peak. We got as far out on the side as we could. "Now we've only got one try at this, so make it count!!" I yelled. Everyone nodded. Casey fired another arrow at it for its attention. "HEY DUMB ASS!!!" Casey screeched as loud at he could. Oh he got his attention all right.
The beast jogged toward us furious almost as though he understood the insult. We waited as patiently as we could. "Ready..." I said to my brothers. The giant raised his fist to slam it down again right on top of all of us. "NOW!!!" I shrieked. The giants fist came down and we all bolted under him toward the other side of the peak. The unstable ground began to shatter, and the giant realized the mistake he had made. It worked. We ran as hard as we could past the falling ground and suddenly, at the worst time imaginable, I tripped. The falling ground was catching up to me, and so was the giant. I got back up to my feet as fast as I fell and ran as hard as I could. At the last second when the rest of the ground crumbled, I jumped as far as I could over to the only ledge left on the side of the mountain. My brothers stopped and looked back, and realized that they were a man short. "Wes!!" cried Nate. He raced over to edge and slid just enough toward it so he could grab my hand to pull me up. "I got you!" he yelled at me, "Don't let go!!" He started to pull me up, and then, as if from the air below me, a gigantic icy hand grabbed my body. I looked at Nate for the last millisecond I had on the mountain. Time almost slowed down as I looked at him and whispered, "I'm sorry" with a terrified glare in my eye, and I let go as the giant pulled me down with it. I could see Nate look down with his arm still stretched toward my falling body, and hear him yell my name one last time.
No comments:
Post a Comment